Want a physical reminder of fruits and vegetables to use in April?
Our seasonal calendar shows what's in season for each month. Here you see the page with all the seasonal fruits and vegetables in April.
Which fruits and vegetables to use in April
Almost out of season
Great from storage
These products you can store and enjoy for a while longer
When they're harvested and at their best!
Coming into season
Hang a pretty overview of in-season ingredients for April in your kitchen!
Our seasonal calendar shows:
- Products that are almost out of season categorize as last chance.
- Some products are great from storage for several months.
- Prime time is when products are harvested and are at their best.
- Starting now shows you the new arrivals.
What to make with fruits and vegetables in April?
Knowing what's in season is only half the job. Of course you also want to know what to actually make with these seasonal vegetables. In our seasonal calendar, we show four recipes for each month. This is one of our favorites for April:
Get 48 seasonal vegetable recipes with our calendar
Scan the QR code on each month to get 4 delicious recipes:
- Make use of various in-season produce
- No meat
- Are filled with natural ingredients and herbs, no mixes or processed stuff
- Exciting flavors, no standard salads or boring meals
Why is it important to eat fruits and vegetables in-season?
We all know vegetables and fruits are most delicious when they're fresh.
But these days you can get anything at any time you want from the supermarket.
We've all gotten used to having a rainbow of produce being available always. Almost the only thing that we still have is 'pumpkin season' for Halloween 🎃
Who even knew anymore that spring-onions are not really at their best in spring? They're always in store. So it's not strange that you might not realize this has quite the impact on our climate.
When something does not naturally grow in season, it costs a lot extra to produce it,
- in a greenhouse 🏭,
- to freeze it to prolong shelf-life ❄️,
- or to transport it from somewhere else 🚚.
In other words: convenience is costing us in energy and polution.
Just a simple example to visualize it, with spinach:
Luckily, it's easy to make a change. By cooking and eating what's in season and locally available, you can make a difference.
By choosing to make concious choices when shopping instead of going for convenience, you can already make a difference.
And as added benefit, eating in-season will also help you:
- appreciate variation in veggies and fruits more. Better enjoy those now!
- be more in-tune with nature - berries are best in spring and summer, kales come when it's cold
- make it easier to support locally harvested from local farmers
- often automatically reduce your shopping costs
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Don't leave without taking a small step: sign up for our newsletter and get our best recipe.